Friday, March 4, 2011

Doctor Doctor- Thompson Twins

My labs are in. They haven't changed too much which I will take as a good sign. A few lows and a few highs. I am most curious about my white blood cell (WBC) count because of the Nulasta, WBC enhancing drug, injection that I received. My WBC was low at 3.4 prior to treatment and my most recent draw it was 8.8. The shot obviously worked. It is nice to see a concrete number result for all that pain. My question will be do I have to have it again. I get another lab draw on Monday, so I am curious to see if it changes. I am my own experiment. The other low was my hematocrit (HCT) RBC, and platelets. No wonder I get so tired. I wonder if I take some iron if my HCT will bounce up a little? Again my own personal experiment. Having labs drawn so much it is interesting to see if anything changes, that's the nurse in me.

The patient in me has been having symptoms in my lungs on and off. They feel tight, tired and sometimes I feel out of breath. They are clear sounding and my pulse is normal, my color looks pretty good too. They just feel like they are tired after too much use. Maybe this is what it's like to have asthma. I talked with one of the nurses about my symptoms. They are not concerned unless I have a fever or am coughing up colored phlegm. I asked if I have to get the Nulasta again? They said yes, to help build you up. Well, news flash, I ultimately get to decide what goes into my body. Even though it doesn't feel like it. I also discussed my labs and all they really wanted to say was they look good. What I really want is to go through the list with a fine tooth comb and discuss each result. I want details, it sounds kind of neurotic, or because I am a nurse and a patient. Well it is neither of those reasons it is because this is my LIFE we are talking about here! I know one set of labs is not my "life" but I want to be treated like a patient and a nurse. I want to discuss the reasoning of the labs. I want to know if my protein/creatinine ratio is high because of the chemotherapy or if I should be concerned? Maybe they don't know. They said they are looking at the trend. Well it trended up and in my professional opinion that is because of the chemotherapy and I am a constant risk for dehydration. I am not an oncology nurse nor do I want to be one, but the universe sure wants me to learn about it.

Time to come up with my own care plan again. Just called the local oncologist that I am trying to arrange to be my back up when I am here in Bellingham. They have not received my records that I request be sent on Monday. So now I have to call back the nurses in Seattle and see if they faxed or mailed the records. I know I have over 200 pages of records. Yes, I am one of those with the big file. What about electronic records anyway? Well, I guess Monday I will be calling to verify that the records were sent, asking for a detailed discussion about my labs and trying to set up a consult with the local oncologist. I know I should make a calendar and organize all this crap but I am tired of it right now.

I still have my hair but it is starting to fall out. I see a shaved head in my near future. I watched Airplane today. I have this huge assortment of movies to choose from and I chose Airplane. The classic humor is just what I needed.

"Surely, you're not serious?"
"I am serious and don't call me shirley"

1 comment:

Marnie Jackson said...

I love reading your blog—though I don't comment often, I read every post with rapt attention!

Bald is beautiful. I shaved my head when I was 20 and 8 months pregnant, and again when I was a mother of three with a diagnosis of headlice! Go for it.

I totally understand your need to thoroughly and technically understand and examine your lab results. I feel hungry for knowledge whenever I or a family member have a significant illness, and with your professional background you're all the better equipped to investigate your health. Better to be pushy than ignorant where your health is concerned!

Marnie