Friday, April 29, 2011

Pour some sugar on me- Def Leppard

More hospital adventures. I have a few things on my mind. I slept 6 hours which is successful for a hospital stay. 10 hours left to be infused.

I had a lower hemaocrit again but then it climbed back up today. The rule is not to obsess about my labs. My oncologist said, "we treat the person not the number." that is good to hear. My cold seems better. Still some crackles in my left lower lobe. A nurse gave me a fancy medical devise called an "acapella" it is a plastic thing you breathe in it vibrates and supposedly loosens your lung secretions. It seems to work. I'll add a picture.

I have been a little worried about what I eat. Being sick I wanted comfort food and coupled with Easter. The sugar temptation was strong and winning. Not to say it isn't okay to have treats. I just would like to eat a little healthier. The meals help tremendously with this effort. I just have a mild/raging sugar addiction. It sure tastes good going in but has a tendency to produce lots of guilt too.

Some of it is normal societal healthy eating pressure. Some of it is cancer fear, if I don't eat healthy I am decreasing my chance to heal. The final stab of guilt is due to history. The old pattern of how I eat when I feel sick or have certain feelings. I think most of at one point or another we have all stuffed a feeling with a cookie. Or rewarded yourself with sweets for a job well done.

Food is not an evil force but there is sure a lot of feelings, control and patterns wrapped up in eating. I know, It all comes back to good ole balance and moderation. Being mindful of what we eat, most of the time.

For me, I need to have compassion for myself and my not so mindful choices sometimes. Guess what I am not perfect.
I was advised to smile at my meal every time before I eat. A way of giving thanks and just giving some love to what is going into my body. This is true for any of my food choices. It also helps bring awareness to whatever I am about to eat.

It is still a challenge to stay on the health wagon without getting to controlling or obsessed. Welcome to what it's like for most women in the US.

I wonder with the rising obesity rates in our country what type of emotional starvation people are facing. I know that it is an intricate puzzle but I am most curious about the emotion and spiritual connection to our food choices.

My chemo bag is adorned with heart stickers. I sent love to the chemo. Now if they would quit drilling into the wall in the next room. I asked and it looks like the pounding and drilling will continue until 2pm. So I am up for a new room. Not sure I can deal with 5 hours of construction next to my head.

Found 2 new hilarious mom websites/blogs. I will post them under inspirational links.
Sent from my iPhone



Sent from my

No comments: