Monday, December 21, 2009

Theme Songs

It all started when I was 14 and 15, my two best girlfriends and I were discovering the world of boys and socializing. School was no longer a learning institution but a vehicle for social interactions with boys and giggling with our girlfriends. We spent time going through our yearbook looking at cute boys and creating crushes. We started "scam" books which is basically a list of boys we kissed, and I am embarrassed to stay I still have mine in box packed away somewhere. 
Our weekends were dedicated to "getting ready" and going to parties or a social gatherings to try out our new found favorite pass time, flirting and getting attention from boys. Oh the hormones of being a teenager. We created "theme songs" to document our weekend party memories. We would update a "typed" list we kept that represented what happened that weekend. Of course, as teenagers we listened to music all the time and mostly top 40 radio junk or MTV videos. We had good luck and bad luck songs. Howard Jones "Things can only get better" was a good luck song and "Crazy for you" by Madonna was a bad luck song. These songs could dictate a good or bad day, they had a lot of power over us.  Most of all it gave us the ability to have inside jokes, be dramatic and to be uniquely connected. 
 I feel nostalgic listening to those songs, remembering the awkward excitement of being a teenager. That time was a beginning of my transition from girl to woman, a rite of passage, the potential was endless, the world undiscovered. So it makes sense to me why cheesy songs bring me such joy. Now, in my post cancer and new mama life, I am experiencing a rite of passage times a thousand. So why not incorporate theme songs back into my life? I want to think about the infinite potential in every day of my life. I want to enjoy this roller coaster ride and feel everything (without going too crazy). I want to laugh and create new "theme songs" for the new cancer free menopause mama that I am. You go girl!

No comments: