Sunday, December 27, 2009

Life in One Day. - Howard Jones

Time to blog. hmmm, not sure what to write about, my day has been filled with toddler chasing, cleaning, cooking, toddler chasing and grocery shopping. Today was possible from the help of my mom. I am still in awe of the difficulty of parenting and trying to function as a family with a toddler. I guess my house is not "baby proofed" which could make a difference. I seldom sit down until he is in bed after 7 PM. It is non-stop action, which can be exhausting for this late in life mother of 38. In some ways I can see how it would be easier to parent in your 20's. More energy and less experience with having your way for many years. Well, I am blessed and thankful to be a parent now. My little man is a sponge for learning. Every day is a new word or sign. He is fascinated with wheels right now. We spend the day looking at a lot of wheels or things that go round, like car wheels, fans and laundry. We walk, walk and walk some more.
Next month, we are going on a trip to Kauai, prior to my treatment and every once in a while I get waves of fear about the 5 hour plane ride with my 13 month old that doesn't want to sit. What is going to happen? How will it be? Worst case scenario is that he will scream for 5 hours straight during the flight, which would be distressing to me, all the passengers and not to mention the baby. I guess what ever happens it will be temporary and realistically I can't imagine Finley will scream for 5 hours. I will do my best to prepare with a multitude of distractions. Once we're in Kauai, all will be good, it is just getting there and back that creates a pang of stress in my mind. Before baby, during a flight I would listen to my ipod, watch the in-flight movie and read, not this time. This flight will be another lesson in surrender and trust. Ultimately I do not have control. I can prepare and plan for the flight with baby but I also have to roll with the punches and trust the process. hmmm, actually this "lesson" is true for all of parenting, cancer treatment and life. Ok Mama, now just take a deep breath and be.

No comments: