Sunday, December 20, 2009

I get knocked down and I get up again. - Chumbawumba

Recovering from surgery is exhausting. The moment you start feeling better you do too much and then you have to rest again. Lucky for me, I had surgery on my perinium and get the experience of what it is like to have a 4th degree tear. I get to learn about sitz baths and stool softeners. Lets not forget loads of antibiotics to keep pesky infections at bay. It is also important to drink lots of water. What I don't get is the recommendation to have a sitz bath 3 times a day for 15-20 minutes. This means I get to sit on a pink plastic basin filled with warm water and soak my goods for 15-20 minutes. I don't know how anyone can sit on a toilet for 15 minutes a day let alone 3 times a day. The big question is how to do this with a busy walking toddler?  
I have a newly toddling one-year-old in a yet-to-be-baby-proofed house. Toddlers are busy, Finley's job is to dump dump and dump some more, explore and experience. He is inspired by every moment of his day, the things he learns and sees. He is a learning sponge. He says a few words already like "duck", "tree",  "mama" and "daddy". He makes it difficult to rest but provides me inspiration to love life. He walks and tumbles and gets back up and does it again over and over all day. Can you imagine if you or I fell as many times as a toddler does in one day. Oh the bruises. Lucky for Finley he is close to the ground. But he is never discouraged, he walks, wobbles and tips, he plants his hands on the ground pushes up with his thighs and tries again. Sometimes he tries to run with a book in his hand obstructing his view of what is ahead. He just goes forward, takes the next step. That is what we do when we are learning from life, right? We take steps forward, fall and get back up and try again. We keep going. 

I never realized how profound toddlers can be. 

No comments: