Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween exam

A plan is in place. I feel better knowing all my aches and pains have been addressed. Today was a bit surreal being Halloween. I went to the cancer center and people were wearing costumes, dressed as chickens, princesses, and i spotted a giant bag of M&M's on my way to the bathroom. I am a fan of halloween but waiting for my cancer prognosis while being helped by a chicken was a little funny. They also had a cellist playing in the lobby. She played very sad traditional songs. I felt like I was in a David Lynch movie. It was ironically funny.

My oncologist seemed pleased that my tumor was very movable so it's unlikely that it is grabbing on to my lungs. After my exam she also believed that there is no additional concern in my kidney area. Yeah. So I explained all my woes and as mentioned above a plan is in place.

First a stent for my kidney then remove the tumor. See a neurologist for my neuropathy and pain and try out a new blood pressure medication. Then some radiation to my chest and then some recovery. Continue physical therapy and When I am finished discuss a maintenance plan. My cancer is not at all textbook. It isn't fast growing but it seems to come back after three months after my last treatment.

I don't have a schedule yet. Everything is being processed and I am just waiting for phone calls. I am experimenting with some steroids for pain and atenolol for my BP. I am hoping they will counter act each other. So I will feel normal, not tired or amped up. Yes this is my life. I think it is kind of funny some days.

I am also dabbling in the world of logistics and disability income ect... I actually qualified for a disabled parking permit, so rock star parking for me. Ahhh the benefits of cancer.

I feel hopeful and blessed. In my appt. I shared a picture of Canyon, my motivation and inspiration. He deserves to have a mama and I will do what ever I can to be around. I wanted the docs to see my humaness. I am not just a person with cancer. I think they know, but my little guy is a good reminder.

1 comment:

Marnie Jackson said...

Oh, Alexis. I'm heartsick that you're dealing with this again (or maybe, since you've never had a complete reprieve, I should say "still"). Your writing is beautiful, though—I'm seeing your Lynchian Halloween as if I were there.

Hang in there! You're so brave!

Marnie