Friday, January 13, 2012

You ain't seen nothing yet

A Somewhat lucky Friday the 13th. I felt like I am recovering from a 5 day party- minus the party. Too many sedation medications and anesthesia makes a girl feel icky.

For biopsy #3, which was near my left armpit beneath my rib,next to my pleura at the termination of my gortex chest wall reconstruction, I was not allowed any ibuprofen or Tylenol for 12 hours before the procedure. I really need those medications to function due to my leg pain. So I was in a lot of pain and cranky despite my 37 mcg/hr fentanyl patch and prn dilaudid. I really do not like narcotic medication. I couldn't eat so I was taking zofran and dilaudid to make it until my procedure. My sister-in-law thankfully volunteered to come to Seattle and help. She wheeled me around in a wheelchair with my bags of goodies. I was told the procedure would be a total time of 6 plus hours, so I was prepared for anything.
I was pretty stoic because of the pain. Once I was in a bay 3 waiting to get my port accessed I let the nurse know I needed something for pain, So more zofran and dilaudid. Then the procedure was explained as a challenge. They tried to use ultrasound to find the biopsy site without any luck. The gortex blocked any view into my chest near the biopsy site. So we moved to CT. There was a greater risk ofinjuring my lung and a possible pneumothorax. Oh joy. They ulongs long needle/catheter to enter my chest. They would take a CT and then enter the needle, take another CT and enter the needle a little further. They continued this slow process, used lidocaine to numb the area, and then used a grabber that made a loud click to get the tissue they wanted. I heard 4 clicks. Meanwhile, I was in la la land with versaid and fentanyl making me sleepy. It went very smooth. The young fellow who did the procedure was thrilled, she said I made her day. So maybe it was more difficult than I realized. I was moved to a hospital room to recover for a few hours and then driven to my moms. I am finally feeling normal this evening. After a night and day of sleeping. The drug fog is lifting. I am heading back home tomorrow.

Oh yeah, the good news, my oncologist called and I found out that biopsy #2, in the right pelvis was clear!! The recommendation for the cancerous site on the left is a new cutting edge type of radiation that has a 60% success rate. She mentioned a chemotherapy to potentate the radiation too. Biopsy #3 results will not be available till Tuesday. I am hopeful that biopsy # 3 is clear. Either way she said a vacation would be fine prior to treatment. Next step is to make an appt. with my radiation oncologist.

Life is crazy. This week has been insane. I am ready to get home and get grounded. Eat some healthy food, make some lists, play with my little guy and be. Maybe enjoy a little snow. Thank you again everyone who continues to support me and my family. We appreciate it so much. Peace out.


Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

Sandi said...

Good news for that second biopsy. So happy to see the words play and vacation in your post. I cannot imagine the peace those two will bring to ya. Hope the snowfall is all weekend and your son is extra cuddled.

Anonymous said...

Great news! Have a restful healing time now - you have definitely earned it Id say. Much love, Phyllis

kathy said...

So happy to meeting you in person Alexis at the play on Sunday. I am inspired by your courage and strength and generosity in sharing your incredible journey. Know I am beaming your rays of light and praying for your healing. So glad biopsy #2 was clear and wishing the same for the third.

Enjoy this snow and the beauty it brings. Peace to you, Kathy (Maryanne's friend and the Chesire Cat's Mama:))