Thursday, January 26, 2012

New Song - Howard Jones

Well so far the Chinese new year has brought some relief. The dragon must have my back. I felt physically capable on Monday, the day of my dreaded consults withy oncologist and radiation oncologist. It was a lot more hopeful than than I anticipated.

I had my questions ready and the doctors came in and as you can imagine they have busy lives so they get down to business right away. The tumor board reviewed my case and looked at clinical trials and current research.

The recommendation was a combination of treatments. First plan of action is to radiate my chest wall including the full area of my chest wall resection. This cancer, Florence, is at the edge of my surgery site. Henrietta is also at the border of a surgery site. So everyday for 4 weeks a broad area on my chest will be radiated. This will include a weekly chemotherapy infusion to potentate the radiation. This will be a low dose of Gemcitabin (Jem-sighta-been), I told you it sounds like Jim beam. Last time I Received radiation and chemo. The chemo took 5 hours to infuse. This chemo only takes 30-45 minutes. I have to look for the positives.

Once I have completed my four week radiation chemo series, I will receive a special dose of radiation for Henrietta and florence. It is called stereotactic. It is administered by a tool called cyberknife or linet(spelling?)this dose will pinpoint the cancer and administer a dose that is 3-4 times the concentration. This will take 3-5 visits. There was one study in Korea that followed 30 women with reoccuring cervical cancer and the success rate was 60%. So it is my best option for treating Henrietta. So that's the plan after my relaxing vacation.

While at my appointment they were able to fit me in for a preplan appointment. This is where they set me up for radiation. They created a mold for my arms so I will be in the exact position each time I get radiated. They also gave me 4 blue freckle tattoos that use to line up the lasers of the CT machine. So the radiation folks will take my films and create the fields for radiation. The beauty is that I didn't have to come another day for an appointment.

I am glad to have the plan but more excited to go on vacation. Living in the moment, right. The other highlight is that I have had three days in a row of reduced pain and the ability to walk again, drive and just be mobile. It feels like a miracle. I still have a decent amount of pain but having a break has given me a new lease on life. I know I will have bad days but I am loving every good day that comes my way.

So cheers to a bright future.

8 comments:

LilyWarrior said...

You will have the most wonderful time in Kauai! May gentle breezes cool you, the scent of plumeria soothe you, and may rainbows of light guide your way. Love you, Alexis!

Anonymous said...

Oh this post IS good news (I don't know which is better the new, highly honed game plan or your break in the leg pain - hoooray for both!) Love, Phyllis

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear the news. Have a fabulous vacation! Love, Jessica (Silverthorne)

Marnie Jackson said...

It's great to see such an optimistic post! Have fun, rest, and stock up on vitamin D!

Marnie

Sandi said...

Oh this sounds like a light shining thru. What hopeful news. I've got a cooler full of meals to drop by, ill call you. Can't wait to see a hawaiin tan on ya.

Amy Vergillo said...

I laugh every time I think about the Jim Beam comment. Have a great vacation!

Sara T. said...

All these are good news. I like that 60% number. Hooray for a break in pain, too. I am praying it continues through the vacation and beyond.
The plan sounds great. So many experts behind it. Don't hesitate to use all of us when you are here in Seattle. All us Swedish girls are rooting for you and want to support you however we can. Have a wonderful vacation, take and post lots of photos, soak up lots of sun and warmth. Are you flying out of Bellingham? I hear they are making lots of flights to Hawaii from there now. Nice for all of you!

Millerraap said...

Great motorcycle games to play for free. That means you must fight tooth and nail to make it to the top of the racing than 4000 games, including dirt bike games, ATV games, car games and much more at I were a doctor, I’d be world renowned as Dr. Take your pro from the backyard all the way to the World Cup final.