Monday, January 31, 2011

Here I go again- White Snake

Well to continue from the last entry, my theory of no news is good news was incorrect. No news is no news. I called the doctors office again today and finally at 5:15 PM I got the call. I missed the call but there was a message from my oncologist (strike one, doctor calling usually bad) she said she scheduled an appointment for me this upcoming Friday (strike two, I have to go in and see her in person, shit, not good). I called back, the biopsy was cancer (strike three, the results). Honestly, I was so relieved to get out of limbo land that I wasn't to surprised or too upset, at least in that moment.

Here is the medical piece so far: a small cancerous lung nodule was removed, an isolated metastesis (which is an oxymoron, really) and there are no tumors anywhere in my body. But the cancer cells have travelled so they are in my "system". So the recommendation is to kill them with chemotherapy, a cocktail mixture of taxol and cisplatin once every 3 weeks. The recommendation is to check-in to the hospital and receive chemo which is infused for a whole day. The side effects can be rough so the recommendation is I spend the night in the hospital that night. Then I think I feel like shit for a few days and then progressively improve over the next few weeks until it is time to get blasted again. 6 treatments over a 4.5 month time frame. The hope is for cure, I guess it always is. I don't know the stats but I am not really a fan or believer in stats, so the outlook is good so far.

Oh and I will lose my hair. Now I will look like a "real cancer patient". At this point with all that I have been through I would gladly give up my hair for the rest of my life not to have to deal with more cancer. But I don't have that choice. The good thing is there is a plan. Our lives can move forward, we know to some degree what the next few months will look like.

In addition to standard western medical treatment I will be supplementing my treatment with many other complimentary treatments (more to come on these). Miracles are welcomed!

So here I go again....

2 comments:

Anna said...

I just found out you have this blog...wish I had known earlier. It's wonderful. Hey, I don't remember dancing on the table in Cairns...that's the problem with alcohol. Wish you lived closer...

Marnie Jackson said...

I'm sorry I wasn't at your toilet-bashing party, but I'm thinking of you guys! Hang in there—and keep writing. You're good at it.

Marnie