Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hopelessly Devoted to You- Olivia Newton John

My treatment is winding down, almost at 8 weeks of city living and daily radiation. This Friday, April the 13th will be my last treatment day, a good omen I hope. It has to be because my lovely niece was born that day. Welcome back unknown. Lately, I have had a few rough spots dealing with pain and a pain plan. So this has been my focus.

After finishing chemotherapy I went off the steroids and found my right leg pain unbearable for a 3 day stretch last week. I wound up at treatment in severe pain last Wednesday. Thankfully my wonderful nurse and MD did all the right things. They assessed my pain quickly. I was in tears and their immediate mission was to reduce my pain. After having a fentanyl sucker my friend watched me go from white knuckled and stressed to breathing and calm. The plan was to go back on low dose steroids until I have an appointment with a new pain doctor. The anxiety created by my pain was intense and debilitating. I found out that before going back on the steroids I had to take my pain meds to the point of almost knocking myself out in order to cope. Thankfully my little guy was with his dad and I could rest and get through the drama without effecting him.

The continued challenge is my numb right foot, partial numb leg, and the occasionally nerve pain jolts. I also ended up with a blister on my foot without knowing it was there. A new venture of foot care. What kind of shoes do I need to where now? I honestly feel like trying to stay healthy takes all my energy and time. It is like a new adventure everyday. This includes my feelings that bubble up about feeling like a lady. As vain as it sounds my femininity has been challenged. My right leg has atrophied. My left leg is often swollen and I walk with a sexy limp I must say. Last Friday, my last day of Cyberknife, I peed my pants. My body is a vessel of insanity.

So again here I am two treatments left and how do I move into my new phase of healing, again. The plan is to get a repeat PET/CT scan in 6-8 weeks. My scan needs to be done once all inflammation has healed, once I have rested. So how can I help myself get there is what keep asking myself? I know sleeping is key. I know that lowering stress is important too. The piece that is challenging for me is the diet. Increasing the rainbow of my whole food diet and decreasing sugary foods. I have given up so much dealing with cancer that the idea of taking more away depresses me. I want to cut out some sugar. I want to be as healthy as I can be but I am holding strong to wanting control of my diet. I have 6-8 weeks before my next scan so I am going to figure out how to challenge myself to eating healthier, more colors and less sugar. I want to invite anyone else who wants to eat a little healthier for the next 6-8 weeks to join me. Let's help each other out, in what ever way we can. Even if it means supporting one another with a simple blessing of intention before eating, mindful eating. Maybe I can reduce inflammation by adding rainbow fruits and veggies and decreasing rainbow gummy candy.
I have been thinking a lot about this challenge. Am I setting myself up to fail? Will it be too much pressure? No, is the answer. What I want out of this challenge is simplicity. There is a time limit and all I want is really to be a little more mindful of my eating habits with the help of my friends. So I am going to throw this idea out to you and the universe like a bag of pixie dust from tinker bell herself and see what may come. So if you want to join me in turning up your food mood in a simple way, let me know. I am going to figure out the best online support for "the rainbow connection", thanks Muppets for the name. Wish me luck in finishing my treatment!

Sent from my iPhone

14 comments:

rocketgirl said...

Count me in on your 'rainbow connection' challenge. It was no accident that you posted this today and I read it today. I will stand with you. I am a sucker for the Muppets anyway. My daughter has coined a name for my early morning face, calling me "Muppet face". When others post a picture of thier mother on FB for mothers day, she posts a Muppet face. I am going shopping for rainbows tomorrow....at Sunny Farms :-)...sending you Love

Mindy said...

You can count me. I've been reading your blog for months and am amazed by your strength and overall attitude. I was just thinking last night that I need to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet. It's been a year since I completed treatment for breast cancer (2 surgeries, chemo and radiation) and sugar is a known driver of cancer. My 3 young children need me to be around for a long time.

Thinking of you and sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

rocketgirl said...

Rainbow good eatin' today. I introduced myself to my first Pink Lady apple.....yumm, cut it up in salad of kale, spinach, pea pods,cilantro, parsley, avocado, walnuts, a dash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. mamacan.......you are my inspiration!

Anonymous said...

You know I'm in! I think it's awesome that you are doing this. Let me know once you figure out the facebook group for it. - Jessica

laura said...

So timely! And yes, I am in. Tonight at sangha mamas, the topic I am giving a talk on is renunciation!

Kat said...

Hey! Just found your blog through Laura's link on FB. I've been watching documentaries for the last year on food and how it affects health (The Beautiful Truth, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, Foodmatters, etc.) , and you know what? You've inspired me to finally do what I've learned. I'm going to commit to a sugar-free month, right now, and get my juicer out this weekend. For starters. Lots of love and healing thoughts from the sorta-cousin you've never met!

Unknown said...

I'm in! You are such an inspiration. I'm going to make one of these asap - http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/forget-the-cake-opt-for-fruit-143388.

Jackie E. said...

Not sure why my last comment was anonymous. I'm in! You are such an inspiration. I'm going to make one of these asap - http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/forget-the-cake-opt-for-fruit-143388.

Sandi said...

Im in Alexis! It will be fun to think of ways to eat the rainbow. Hugs

Betsy and Drake said...

I am so amazed and inspired by your honesty, your courage, and your willingness to share this journey with those around you. Mostly, though, I am amazed by the authentic manner in which you are living. It makes me want to live a more authentic life. Drake and I will gladly join the rainbow connection challenge. We are taking steps to simplify, eat whole food and be more intentional about our relationship as well as our relationships with others. I can think of no better challenge to accept and we will send prayers your direction with every bite of colorful health giving food.

Marnie Jackson said...

I wil join you in your food challenge today if it's not too late! I want to ditch refined sugar for a while, and thinking of you will help me stick with it. You are the living embodiment of perseverance.

Marnie

rocketgirl said...

One week without sugar and eating a rainbow everyday. I am feeling the collective energy of your blog Alexis, and I hope you are feeling it too! I am feeling so good, I gave blood yesterday. I haven't done that for 30 years. If mamacan, I can too!

Anonymous said...

post stands out as the new baby pink
http://silpacific.org/node/157615
http://animesocietyuk.com/groups/deciding-upon-approaches-around-assurance-maladie/
http://facebookmodels.com/index.php?do=/blog/40582/real-world-answers-involving-assurance-santé-responded/

Anonymous said...

http://tudung-colorfulblogcom
http://mytropa.net/groups/important-components-to-achieve-face-painter/
http://daruu.com/members/rosaness/activity/183271
http://wenzlitschke.de/index.php?title=Benutzer:DuaneCroc
http://shoeclimax.com/beta/groups/indispensable-facets-by-party-rentals-all-through-the-us-of-a/
http://whogotbarz.net/members-2/shelliwel/